Beginning of construction work on the elevated structure of the Réseau express métropolitain near the Lachine Canal
Where: Near the Peel Basin, in the Lachine Canal sector
Nature of upcoming work
This first work phase will include putting up three pillars for the REM’s future elevated structure. To construct these pillars, two temporary jetties will be built in the Lachine Canal between the north and south banks of the canal and the central island where the swing bridge is located.
These jetties will accommodate the equipment required for the work and will be dismantled afterwards. The work schedule is as follows:
- Late October to late November 2018: Construction of two jetties linking the north and south banks of the Lachine Canal.
- Late November 2018 to April 2019: Beginning of construction of the three pillars.
- Late March to fall 2019: Installation of beams and deck (slabs) of the elevated structure. Dismantling of the jetties once the work is finished.
Impacts and mitigation measures
The work will generate noise and dust and obstructions to pedestrian and cyclist traffic around the Lachine Canal path. Some brush clearing and cutting of trees and shrubs will also be necessary.
The aim of the REM project office and the NouvLR consortium is to minimize impact on activities near the Lachine Canal and ensure everyone’s safety by implementing all appropriate measures, including:
- Reforestation program to replace the trees that were cut; these activities will be overseen and coordinated by environmental experts
- Monitoring of noise and air quality by environmental experts throughout the work and implementation of mitigation measures as required (e.g. sprayer, daily cleaning with a street sweeper)
- Truck traffic on a route designed to reduce inconveniences to a maximum and signallers near the construction site
- Safe detours for pedestrians and cyclists
- Waterway accessible by the south channel of the Lachine Canal between May and October 2019
The work area is shown below:
Beginning April 7th, the closed segment of the Lachine Canal path on the north bank will be reopened. As needed, signallers will be on hand to direct traffic near the construction area. However, the cycling link on the Wellington bridge will be closed until mid-September 2019. Users will be asked to use detours put in place.
* Due to the nature of the activities being performed, work cannot be interrupted while it is in progress, and must be completed to ensure integrity of the existing infrastructure is maintained. Should this situation arise, the work period will be extended to complete the work already begun.
** Concentrated noisy activity in the daytime and evenings. Some work will have to be performed at night because of constraints related to nearby railway activities.
For all questions | 1 833 REM-INFO
Write us via the contact form of the "Contact us" page. You may contact us by phone on weekdays between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.