Third phase of construction for the REM station McGill
Nature of the work
The third phase of construction for the Réseau express métropolitain’s McGill station will begin on April 1st.
This phase will mark the start of excavation of the McGill station on McGill College Avenue. At the same time, the construction of the pedestrian tunnel on De Maisonneuve Boulevard West that began in January 2019 will continue. This underground tunnel will connect the REM’s new McGill station to the existing metro station.
The work will be carried out on De Maisonneuve Boulevard West (between Robert-Bourassa Boulevard and McGill College Avenue), and on McGill College Avenue (between De Maisonneuve Boulevard West and Sainte-Catherine Street West). It will include the following steps:
- Preparatory works, including removal of trees
- Archaeological digs
- Excavation of underground tunnel
- Excavation of station
Subsequent phases will continue until the planned commissioning in 2022.
Impacts and mitigation measures
The work will generate noise and dust. Obstacles to vehicle, pedestrian and cyclist traffic will be set up**, as presented described below:
- On De Maisonneuve Boulevard West: Vehicle traffic is limited to the right lane. Pedestrian traffic is possible, but limited to the south side;
- On McGill College Avenue: Vehicle traffic will be limited to a single southbound lane. Northbound traffic will be interrupted between Sainte-Catherine and Cathcart streets.
- The bike path remains blocked off between Robert-Bourassa Boulevard and McGill College Avenue. It has been rerouted to President-Kennedy Avenue. See the detour
- Five trees will be conserved and replanted in a tree nursery during construction. They will be replanted after in coordination with the City of Montréal.
- Reforestation program to replace the trees that were cut; these activities will be overseen and coordinated by environmental experts.
The work may generate a few occasional obstructions around this perimeter. Specific Works Info notices will be released for these obstructions, as need be.
All businesses and office towers will remain accessible during the work, as will the Montréal Eaton Centre parking lot and loading dock. Entrances to the Montréal Eaton Centre and to 1801, 1401 and 1501 McGill College Avenue will remain open at all times and will be clearly marked with signs.
*Work will be carried out between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Work before and after this time period will be necessary to mobilize and demobilize all the elements required to perform the work and to clean up the site.
** For information purposes only. The obstacles described and presented are subject to change.
Booth tour – week of April 8
We would like to invite you to come meet us at one of our booth locations during the week of April 8. We will be set up at the following locations, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
- Monday, April 8: in the lobby at 1501 McGill College Avenue
- Tuesday, April 9: in the lobby at 2000 McGill College Avenue
- Wednesday, April 10: in the lobby at 1801 McGill College Avenue
- Thursday, April 11: in the lobby at 1800 McGill College Avenue
Our team will be there to answer your questions and discuss the next phase of work.
For all questions | 1 833 REM-INFO
Write us via the contact form of the "Contact us" page. You may contact us by phone on weekdays between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.