Rules and safety
At every step of your trip on board the REM, your safety is our priority.
Several measures are in place to ensure your safety, from the network’s design to its everyday operation:
- Stations have many windows and are well lit. Their corridors are wide and free of any dark corners so that you are visible at all times.
- Platform screen doors separate the platforms from the rails and only open when the car is ready for boarding.
- A Command Centre operates 24/7, with dedicated staff to pilot and monitor equipment.
- A video surveillance system covers all network facilities and is directly connected to the Command Centre.
- Emergency assistance tools are at your disposal in every station and car so that you may contact REM staff at all times.
- A security and control team patrols the entire network.
Our staff in the network
REM teams patrol the network at all times to provide assistance, answer questions, maintain the facilities and maintain equipment.
Safety in the event of an outage or accident
Power outages, a car stalled on the tracks, evacuations: we have carefully evaluated every potential scenario to keep you safe. An emergency plan that covers a variety of contingencies is in place, in collaboration with emergency services.
In the event of an incident, please remain calm. Clear instructions will be provided and staff will be available to assist you.
Safety in a public transit network depends partly on the behaviour of its passengers. The Regulations for using the REM and its facilities enable us to provide a safe and reliable transit service. Here are some fundamental principles to follow in order to stay safe: Be careful and respectful at all times, respect signage and instructions from staff, and never cross electrified tracks.
Statements of offence and penalties
What happens if I violate the Regulation?
Penalties apply for people caught in violation of the Regulations and statements of offence can be issued by REM inspectors and operators.